When you’re setting out to buy a home on the Costa del Sol, you’re faced with a basic decision: should you opt for a newly built property or a resale? Whilst some are searching for quaint, authentic and charming properties in which to make their own, others are looking for a more contemporary feel that acts as a blank canvas. Each option has its own pros and cons, but it might seem difficult to know which one is the right choice for you and your needs, particularly when it comes to buying a property in Spain.
This guide is here to make those factors clear and straightforward, helping you make the choice that best suits your Spanish property dreams. Let’s dive into the details and discover the perfect fit for your Costa del Sol home.
New Developments and New Builds
Contemporary design: New build properties often come equipped with the latest in modern comfort. Think energy-efficient appliances, contemporary interiors, and up-to-date technology, such as climate control systems and other smart-home features provide you with a hassle-free and comfortable lifestyle from the moment you move in.
Customisation: Being the first owner of a new property means you have the privilege of tailoring it to your unique tastes. You can personalise everything, from the colour schemes to the kitchen layout, to create the home you’ve always envisioned.
Lower Maintenance: A new build is pristine and free from the wear and tear that older properties may have. This means less maintenance and renovation work, allowing you to focus on enjoying your Spanish paradise rather than the thought of tackling a to-do list!
Warranty Coverage: Newly constructed homes and developments often come with structural warranties, providing peace of mind regarding the property’s structural integrity. Many issues are typically covered for the first ten years, giving you a safety net should things go wrong.
Higher Initial Costs: Modern amenities and conveniences can often come with a higher price tag, depending on the area. New build properties are a little more expensive than their resale counterparts.
Incomplete Surroundings: New developments may be in areas still undergoing growth and development, resulting in an incomplete or quieter neighbourhood. This can lead to temporary inconveniences from building works, construction traffic, and noise.
Limited Character: New builds may lack the unique character and charm often associated with older and more established properties.
Character and History: Resale properties often have a certain character and charm that tells a story. Elements like traditional architecture, antique features, and a sense of authenticity can be immensely appealing to both homeowners and buyers alike.
Established Neighbourhoods: Resale properties are frequently located in well-established neighbourhoods, boasting mature gardens and well-operated community systems. You’ll get to experience the charm and convenience of a well-rounded community right from the start.
Potential Value: Older properties can offer excellent value for your money. You might find that you can get more space and a unique setting at a lower price compared to a new build.
Maintenance: Resale properties may require more maintenance and potential renovations. In this instance, it’s important to be prepared for any additional costs and projects to bring the property up to modern standards.
Limited Customisation: While the existing charm and character may be a big selling point when buying property, it can also potentially limit your ability to customise the property to your preferences.
Uncertain History: Older properties might have hidden defects that require more investigation and a thorough understanding of the property’s history.
Making the Right Choice
When it comes to deciding between a new build or a resale property in Guadalmina, Marbella, Estepona, Sotogrande and beyond, your choice should reflect your unique preferences and priorities. To help you make the right decision, we highly recommend considering the following factors:
- Budget: Your budget is a pivotal consideration. If you’re prepared to invest more in a modern, low-maintenance property, a new build could be the ideal choice for you. On the other hand, if you’re seeking affordability combined with character, resale properties also offer fantastic value.
- Personalisation: What’s your vision for your new home? Do you dream of designing a space with modern amenities that is entirely your own? Or do you place a premium on the authenticity and charm of an established residence? If you crave a blank canvas to create your dream home, a new build might be the answer.
- Location: The location and the surrounding neighbourhoods are essential. New builds are often situated in quieter, developing areas, which may offer a more tranquil environment. In contrast, resale properties provide a glimpse into the vibrant heart of both the Spanish and expat communities in the area. Consider which environment aligns with your lifestyle best.
- Maintenance Tolerance: Think about how much maintenance work you’re willing to take on. New builds typically come with lower maintenance requirements, allowing you to enjoy your property from day one. Resale properties, while often full of character, may require renovation or additional upkeep. Assess your readiness for these responsibilities.
- Legal Considerations: Regardless of your choice, conducting comprehensive legal due diligence is vital when considering a Spanish property investment. We highly recommend seeking guidance from a local lawyer who can equip you with the necessary information to protect your investment. We’re happy to help you find a local trustworthy lawyer.
Your journey to finding the perfect property on the Costa del Sol is a significant step. Whether you’re leaning toward a new build or a resale, make your decision based on your preferences, your budget, and your vision for your ideal home. At Winkworth Spain, we’re here to assist you every step of the way, ensuring a seamless and satisfying real estate experience.
At Winkworth Spain, our bedrock is built upon integrity, impeccable service, and the delivery of sound advice above all else. Our name carries a legacy of quality in both the UK and Marbella.
Hailing from a rich lineage of over 60 real estate offices in London, we proudly stand as the capital’s largest single-branded UK real estate agency. Extending our reach, we also have a presence in the Spanish countryside, and of course, right here in Guadalmina, on the Costa del Sol.
No matter what type of property you’re looking for, we’ve got something that’s aligned with your tastes, wants, needs and budget. Get in touch with our team today and let’s see how we can help you find your dream property on the Costa del Sol.