Marbella is one of the world’s most sought-after Spanish tourist spots, offering a diverse array of activities that promise unforgettable experiences on the Costa del Sol. Sunshine, premier golf courses, shopping centres, culture, good food and nightlife – Marbella has it all!
You might be forgiven for thinking that Marbella is just a summer destination, but the reality is that the area has become an all-year-round haven for those looking for a warm winter retreat. With such a wide variety of activities going on during winter, Marbella is the place to spend these colder months.
In our latest blog post, we’ll be looking at why you should consider investing in property in Marbella this winter, and why the bright lights of the area make for an incredible experience all year round.
Marbella’s Popularity Explained
The first, and possibly the main attraction to Marbella, is its weather. Many tourists travel to the Costa del Sol to enjoy the rays of sunshine all year round. There are as many as 320 days of sunshine a year which means even in winter times, one can enjoy the benefits of Marbella’s pleasant climate. Tourists from Northern and Eastern Europe choose to vacation on the Spanish coast because of the sun and its warmer temperatures. Getting enough hours of sun, changes your mood completely, which is an extra benefit to all that Marbella has to offer.
In the past, the area attracted a slightly older crowd, particularly those visiting or buying a second home in and around Marbella. But in more recent times, a much younger audience has become interested in the area. Due to these recent developments, seasonal businesses have held their doors open throughout the entirety of the year. Marbella does not turn into a ghost town in winter, only for it to completely change again when the temperatures rise; it is a vibrant city all year long.
Many outside activities in Marbella are often exclusively summer activities in the rest of Europe, simply because the climate doesn’t allow for it. In comparison to Marbella, its activities are even better in winter as the temperatures are much more pleasant and comfortable.
One of the main outdoor activities here, one that Marbella is known for, is golfing. Andalucía has long been the favoured destination for golf enthusiasts, owed in part to its beautiful, world-renowned golf courses. Offering captivating views of the sea, mountains, Gibraltar, or the African Coastline, Marbella entices thousands of golfers annually. Located between the sea and the Sierra Blanca, Marbella offers an ideal climate in which to play a spot of golf.
Besides golfing, outdoor adventures of all types are very popular here. Hiking and horse riding have gained a lot of popularity in recent years, thanks to the mild climate. Nestled at the base of La Concha Mountain, an iconic symbol of the region, Marbella offers a multitude of hiking trails that invite individuals, families, and friends to explore and walk together.
Marbella is, without a doubt, the most glamorous shopping destination in Andalucía. What distinguishes Marbella apart from its rivals is the quality and diversity of its fashion offerings, ranging from luxurious high-end labels to popular high-street brands.
Marbella’s shopping possibilities are endless, but they can be divided into the following areas:
- Marbella Old Town (Casco Antiguo de Marbella): Decorated with charming streets and boutique shops with clothing, accessories, and culinary delights, complemented by an array of restaurants, cafes, and bars. The Old Town is a real treat for those looking for some culture, too.
- Puerto Banús: The pinnacle of Marbella, Puerto Banús boasts stores from exclusive high-end brands like Louis Vuitton, Versace, Tom Ford, Hermes, Dior, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, and more. Surrounded by the gorgeous port area, when you’re tired of shopping, take a break with lunch or a drink beside the multi-million-euro boats and yachts in the harbour.
- El Corte Inglés: Located in Puerto Banús, this department store is a comprehensive hub offering a diverse range of products, from high-end fashion and electronics to furniture, hardware, and gourmet food items. You can pick up a range of designer items from their in-store concessions, pop in for a gift, or even pick up some great quality food.
- La Cañada: Marbella’s largest shopping centre, previously voted as Spain’s finest, features over 150 shops catering to a diverse range of shopping preferences. It also includes a large cinema, multiple restaurants, beauty salons, and various other amenities. It’s a great rainy-day location!
- Ricardo Soriano: This is Marbella’s primary street for shopping, stretching for several kilometres right through the centre of Marbella. It consists of several high-street brands, restaurants, cafes, beauty salons, banks, and more. The beach is also mere minutes away, so if you need to stop for a drink, it’s the perfect setting.
Buying Property in Marbella
Marbella is the perfect destination for both residents and second homeowners all year round. It offers culture, a good climate with pleasant temperatures, lots of activities and good food – a great mix for anyone looking to relocate or buy a second home.
At Winkworth Spain, we pride ourselves on the pillars of integrity, impeccable service, and the delivery of sound advice above all else. With a legacy of quality in both the UK and Marbella, we draw from a rich lineage of over 60 real estate offices in London, making us the capital’s largest single-branded UK real estate agency. Expanding our influence, we also have a presence in the Spanish countryside and, of course, right here in Guadalmina on the Costa del Sol.
Whether you’re in search of a cosy apartment, a luxurious villa, or anything in between, Winkworth has properties that align with your tastes, desires, needs, and budget. Whether you’re looking to make Spain your second home, or if you’re just looking to invest in a property, we can guide you to finding the perfect property and lifestyle right here in Marbella.