Winkworth Spain Real Estate Blog

Energy Efficient Ratings Guide

A Guide to Energy Performance Certificates

On 1st June 2013 a new law was introduced making Energy Performance Certificates in Spain compulsory for every domestic property for sale or rent.

  • What is an Energy Performance Certificate?
    An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) or Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE) is a document showing how energy efficient your home is. Much like the stickers you see on domestic appliances, it gives the property a standard energy and carbon emission efficiency grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most efficient and ‘G’ is the least efficient.
  • Who Needs an Energy Performance Certificate in Spain?
    Properties new to the market whether for sale or rent will have to have the certificate in place before it can be advertised.
  • When you sell your house the Notary will need the original certificate and when you rent your house the tenant will have to be given a copy of your certificate.
  • Who can issue the Energy certificate in Spain?
    The Energy certificate can only be issued by certified and registered assessors.
  • Along with your certificate you will get a report giving advice about how to improve the energy rating of your property. The report will recommend cost effective measures which could be undertaken to improve the energy rating and it will also contain information about the rating that could be achieved if all the recommendations were implemented.
  • Why have Energy Performance Certificates been introduced?
    The EPC has its roots in the Kyoto Protocol which was a worldwide initiative started in 1997 to address the issue of Greenhouse gases.
  • Since then the European Union have formulated the European Directive for the Energy Performance of Buildings, which applies to all member states with a clearly defined timetable of the measures we must introduce.
  • How is the rating on my EPC in Spain worked out?
    An energy assessor will visit your property and take measurements and recordings from things such as your air conditioning, your hot water system, type of windows fitted, Spray foam insulation, type of construction etc. The readings taken will then be entered on line into one of the Governments approved programmes which will generate the rating for your property giving its energy efficiency and environmental impact. The programmes used are the same for all properties so a potential buyer or tenant will be able see the projected energy costs for each property viewed.
  • Do I need an EPC if I only rent my property out for holiday lets?
    Yes, you do still need one even if you only rent your property out for holiday lets.
  • What if I rent my property out through an agent?
    Either you or your agent will need to get a certificate for your property. An agent will not be legally allowed to offer your property for rent or sale without a certificate.
  • Can I advertise my property without an Energy Certificate?
    No, as from 1st June 2013 an EPC certificate is required to be able to advertise your property for sale or rent.
  • How long does an Energy Performance Certificate last for in Spain?
    The certificate lasts for 10 years.
  • What if I make changes to my property in Spain?
    You can have your property reassessed at any time during the period your certificate is valid.
  • What are the ramifications of not having an EPC?
    The government have said they will fine all existing homeowners that have a property for sale or rent that do not have an EPC within the allotted period.

Winkworth can assist in arranging an EPC for you.

The cost of the EPC will depend on the size of your property.